The HAIL logo represents the 5 movements of the piece and their different meters, going from 4 to 8 (back to 4). I originally started making ‘real life’ versions of the logo because it’s just fun, but during the course of the Kickstarter campaign for this project, I’ve been doing a different version every day. I’ve tried to use these as promotional content that’s original.
The circle of fifths is a music theory model several hundred years old which describes the relationships between diatonic scales. It can be seen as an illustration of infinite chord progressions. Sphere of Fifths uses the idea of infinite knots to represent musical cycles, and uses pentagonal knot designs of varying complexity to bring the music theory model into 3 dimensions. When the light source is changed to different angles, shadows from the opaque parts of the glass recombine in complex shadows; the viewer of the piece gets to decide on some of its content by taking this into consideration.
The piece appears to be held together tenuously, the same way a motive in a good piece of music will hold everything together without having to overshadowing things. The wood and strings are reminiscent of orchestra instruments. The knots themselves are similarly suggestive, and not directly representative of a circle of fifths diagram.
opening is reception friday, february 21, 2014, 6:30 – 8:00pm at the Fountain City Art Center. I’m hoping to win a little cash. I just have one piece and yes I have gone insane and made a circular piece of art.
This is a ceramic tile. The antlers are jawbones from a groundhog (possibly?).
This was my product from an assignment I gave my class, which was basically:
Make a 3″ x 6″ x 1/4″ tile with a face on it. The face must project out from the tile (as opposed to being scratched in).
LASERs for added awesome
When photographing this, I used LASER beams to light up the eyes. That’s why there are two versions of each angle. And that’s why it’s awesome.
In order to help sell my old house, I whipped up a little WP site full of photos of the place. I’m not really sure exactly why, but I made a QR code drawing / painting which linked to the site. The house was sold before I completed this piece, and the code links to a domain that is now pointless to maintain. So, now the link will point to, you guessed it, right here. Until the domain expires. But, the finished piece is still pretty cool to look at. (Part of the lesson learned from this experiment is to link just to a site I plan on maintaining, like this one.)
First I drew the grid on watercolor paper. I painted the ‘black’ squares in a checkerboard pattern of blue and green. Next, I masked off squares about an eighth inch smaller than the grid cells and painted the ‘white’ squares yellow. After this, I still needed more contrast, so I drew alternating diagonal lines on top of the blue and green.
This artwork is also in my scraps collection on DA.
What, you didn’t think it would work…?
This gallery contains full and detail views of a QR code pointing to this site. This was one of my first successful QR code paintings. After getting the code, I used a Sharpie to draw alternating diagonal lines where the dark squares should be. The remaining light squares were painted orange with acrylic paint. This alone wasn’t high enough contrast, so I added purple tissue paper squares over the purple stripes and white paint over the orange squares.
Take a picture of the screen to see it in action. See you in a minute.
Normal 80s kids had Legos. My brother and I had Construx. I had the Space Series stuff that glowed in the dark, and Jerry had the purple Alien stuff. It didn’t seem odd at the time, but since he had two of these figures, he named one Alien and the other Martian. This painting serves as a monument to the days before our minds were clouded with things such as sub-classes and parent categories.
The text(?) below the portraits are from 2 different decals (and yes, I know that one is just the other upside-down) from the Battlestrike set. I like to believe one reads martian and the other alien.
The painting was done on a board covered in old Construx instructions, which peek through here and there. Other media used were ink, tempera, and watercolor.
Below are real life implementations of a logotype of my first name. The first version of this was created when I was in middle school, c.1990. After taking art more seriously, or at least doing more art, I have been in search of a symbol or mark which represents me. I returned to a version of the original, adding 2 shades of red (to emphasize the chromatic aspect of אָדָם). The diagram here shows the symbol on a 60° axonometric grid, which reveals some exact proportions, namely that the first 3 letters together have the same area as the last letter and that the entire area is made up of 10 equilateral triangles (shown in light blue).