Here’s an art challenge to everyone: get better at self portraits. Here are the rules:
- Time limit is 15 minutes.
- Paper size is sketchbook size (roughly letter size).
- Sketchbook must be held in hand while standing up, looking into mirror.
- Use only a pencil and an eraser (nothing fancy).
- Start with toned paper which does not count toward your time limit.
- After time limit, write one new observation about the process on your drawing.
I used this as a warm-up exercise for my high school students in advanced drawing, and everybody got better.
This was partly inspired by a TED Talk by Matt Cutts on trying something new for 30 days – mostly the idea that you can pretty much pull off improving at anything you try for 30 days.
As a challenge, there is one extra rule: post your progress somewhere on the internet. Below are day by day scans of my progress.